Walls Walls Walls

I meant to take more pictures as I was doing this, but I got so caught up in doing the actual work, I forgot to document each step.
So, sorry for the lack of pictures, but here are the walls installed. Did them all today. Just have one end cap to put on a wall.

The roof is still yet to be done.

Enjoy the photo's. As always, click on an image to enlarge.






Here is a side outer wall installed. I used the recovered wood from the back of the Entertainment Unit.
Rather than risk electrocution due to impending rain, and and not having to setup and get out all the leads etc for the power tools, I cut and nailed it all by hand.

On the walls, the planks I used are of the Tongue and Groove type, which I mentioned on the other pages.
This means they lock in together, making it easier to create large areas that you can adjust. 
The other advantage is, the tongue creates a seal, reducing seepage of air and water between the planks. 

The underside of all the walls are unsealed at the moment, as I am going to install insulation in between the wall cavities.
Lucy, my dog, is getting on in years, so she feels the weather much more so now days. 
She will be 15 this August (2016).


(Said dog, Lucy Lue. Ruler of the clan of Andrew)


The other side of the house's outer wall are made of the same wooden planks.







I ran out of the thin back planks, so I use some shelf wood instead. A little thicker, but it does the job.
Going to sand off that hideous green paint later.

Under the house's floor I installed a closed E Frame. I raised the house up off the ground to reduce damp and retain some heat.
There is a step in front, that is made of scraps left over after I cut the walls and base. Lucy has a little arthritis, like me, and has problems jumping up now days.







A well defined backside! 

At least three of the outer walls were made from these planks.
The soft wood has a nice tone. The downside is, it is currently untreated, which I had to do straight away because of impending rain.








I have to protect the wood, but I don't want to ruin it with paint. So, normally I would use Linseed Oil, or a clear Wood Varnish to do the job.
But, I am all out of both at the moment, and all out of shekels too.

So, a simple solution to my problem. 
Vegetable oil.

That's right. Vegie oil. You wood workers out there can stop screaming. It is a great temp fix to protect the wood. It works wonders on the wood, soaks in nicely, and will do till I can get some linseed oil.
I have used it in the past for this exact purpose, in a pinch, and it works very well.







A few more shots showing the (semi) finished product so far. A side by side With Walls, and Without Walls for comparison.





So far, that is it for now. More to come when I built the roof frame and cover it.



Comments